Fifa will not agree to move Iran’s World Cup matches from US to Mexico
Fifa is unwilling to switch Iran’s World Cup matches to Mexico despite the country’s football federation claiming it is in discussions to do so
silverguide.site –
Fifa is unwilling to switch Iran’s World Cup matches to Mexico despite the country’s football federation claiming it is in discussions with the world governing body about moving their games outside the United States.
Iran are due to play two fixtures in Los Angeles and one in Seattle but their participation in the tournament has been placed in doubt by America’s joint airstrikes on the country with Israel.
Donald Trump said last week that the “life and safety” of Iran’s players could be at risk if they travel to the United States, which led to the Iranian Football Federation (IFF) making overtures about relocating games to Mexico.
There were reports in the Wall Street Journal last weekend that Iran had approached Fifa about such a move, and the president of the IFF, Mehdi Taj, appeared to confirm the talks by posting on the X account of the Iranian embassy in Mexico: “We are negotiating with Fifa to hold Iran’s World Cup matches in Mexico.”
Fifa has not commented since its president, Gianni Infantino, claimed that Trump had told him Iran were “welcome” at the World Cup after a meeting at the White House last Tuesday.
Several sources at Fifa played down the prospect of games being rescheduled, pointing out that such a move would inconvenience other countries and cause commercial problems because tickets have been sold and global broadcast schedules and sponsorship deals agreed.
Belgium, Egypt and New Zealand are Iran’s opponents in Group G. In another complicating factor Iran would meet the US in the last 32 in Dallas if they finish as runners-up in their respective groups.
One source offered the view that the US and Iran appeared to be engaged in a game of brinkmanship, with each attempting to create the conditions to force a withdrawal they can blame on their opponents, with Fifa caught in the middle.
Fifa is unlikely to make a final decision on Iran until its Congress in Vancouver on 30 April, with its official position remaining that it wants them to take part.
Fifa has the sole power to decide which country would replace Iran if they do not take part, in what would be the first occurrence of a World Cup withdrawal post-draw since 1950.
Iraq are the next highest-ranked Asian nation not to have qualified so would appear to be in line to step in if they do not come through an interconfederation playoff against Bolivia or Suriname at the end of this month. The United Arab Emirates would be the most likely beneficiaries if Iraq qualify.

Comment